OpenPPG SP140 is the latest paramotor from OpenPPG. With its clean and simple design and operations you’ll be flying more and on the ground adjusting/ tinkering less. Electric allows super high reliability, a major expense in aviation. We have worked hard on bringing an affordable EPPG to market that can outperform the standard gas motor in all the major attributes people are looking for, like thrust, weight, low vibration, quiet flying, and dependability. The SP140 is simply the best EPPG/PPG on the market for the vast majority of people.
- Easy clean transport/ storage – No messy gasoline or oil allows for the options to just put the unit in the back seat of the car or store inside (no gas or fumes smell)
- Lightweight ergonomic geometry – Lighter than the average gas motor, and having excellent weight distribution (high up and tight to the pilot) makes the SP140 feel even lighter than it is. The 2.2 kWh battery pack drops the weight down by another 15 lbs, and makes if perfect for thermaling, training, or just those who fly less then half-hour and would rather have less weight.
- No maintenance = no worries – Unlike internal combustion paramotors require costly maintenance and rebuilds every so many hours, electric paramotors don’t.
- Reliable – Fewer moving parts required to fly this EPPG makes it far more reliable, and does not need the constant tweaking gasoline engines require.
- Affordable – The most cost effect paramotor available. The SP140 starts at average of $1000 less then the average ICE motor and $4000 less than the average EPPG. But that’s not where it truly shines. As you are prepaying for gas (as the battery is included with the unit) the cost to fly is incredibly low. In the USA, for example, you’re paying about $0.50/hr for electric vs $5.50/hr for gas + oil.
- Fast responsive throttle – Electric motors allow super responsive, precise control of the throttle and allows very linear throttle response. This kind of control is simply not possible with two-stroke combustion motors.
- Safe and easy to start – Just push a button and you are ready to fly. No pull-starting struggle required which is especially convenient when it’s on your back. Also when launching your wing the propellers don’t have to be spinning so it eliminates the chances of the propeller tangling your paraglider lines.
- Simple system updates– Features like cruse control and altimeter already available on the controllers are great, but being able to update to newer versions with new features easily over USB is even better. This future proofs your motor so it can be updated to the latest version if wanted.
- Thrust: 175 lbs (with larger prop setup, can be propped down for less thrust or via controller setting if less thrust is desired)
- 25 kW max power
- Weight: 28 lbs (55-77 lbs with batteries)
- Battery weights: 2.2kWh – 27.6 lbs / 4kWh – 45.2 lbs
- Flight time: 30-60 mins
- 2.2 kWh feather battery provides around 30 mins of flight time
- 4 kWh (Default battery) provides around 60 mins of flight time
- Construction: 6061 T6 aluminum, Carbon Fiber, Ti 5, Dyneema for netting (5x stronger than kevlar)
- Everything needed to fly out of the box
- Single 25kW high-efficiency brushless motors
- Custom ESC, allows operations above 15,000 feet.
- 140cm bi-blade CF E-Prop (tri-blade for higher max power, and lowest vibrations)
- Throttle controller, with built-in color display
- Custom battery pack with built in BMS and highest quality battery cells available
- Charger (charges in 2-4 hours). Fast-charger compatible battery (Charge up in 1 hr)
Unlike a traditional two-stroke there is no engine to idle — throttling-off produces silence… That’s so cool.
-Jeff Goin, Author of The PPG Bible